An Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada Announcement
Government of Canada supports collaboration to promote sustainability and growth for Canada’s organics industry.
The organic industry is one of Canada’s fastest growing sectors, thanks to hardworking organic food producers and the organizations that support them. Collaboration and partnership are vital to ensuring this sector continues to grow to help meet increasing consumer demand.
On March 22, 2022 the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, announced an investment of up to $103,400 for the Organic Federation of Canada to enable a new collaboration that will promote sustainability and growth for Canada’s organics industry.
This project brings together the three primary national organizations that support the organics industry: the Organic Federation of Canada (OFC), which is focused on standards maintenance and scientific research, Canadian Organic Growers (COG), which is focused on education for consumers and producers, and the Canada Organic Trade Association (COTA), which supports market development.
The Organic Federation of Canada is using the funds to develop a coordinated governance structure across the three organizations as well as to design, develop and implement a funding model that will be able to deliver the services required to support growth of the industry. Representing the entire value chain, this collaboration will consolidate and better coordinate efforts to strengthen the organic industry and assist producers in transitioning to organic production.
Organic farming methods can improve soil health, promote biodiversity and boost farm resilience in the face of climate change. The Government of Canada is committed to supporting a strong and prosperous organic industry, which is good for both the environment and the economy.
The funding announced is provided through the Canadian Agricultural Strategic Priorities Program (CASPP), a $50.3 million, five-year investment to help the agricultural sector adapt and remain competitive.
- The Organic Federation of Canada is a national organization responsible for the maintenance and interpretation of the Canadian Organic Standard and the administration of scientific research in organic agriculture in Canada.
- Canada’s organic farming sector is valued at $8 billion and is the sixth largest in the world. Demand for organics in Canada is increasing at a rate of 8.7% annually, and despite increases in Canadian organic production, the growth in global and Canadian markets continues to outpace supply.
Join the Organic Federation of Canada ’s
Annual General Meeting
Thursday, April 14th, 2022, at 1pm ET!
- Funding for the Standards Interpretation Committee and the future revision of the Canadian Organic Standard
- Post-mortem of the 2020 revision
- Memorandum of Understanding in view between the Canadian Organic Growers – Canada Organic Trade Association – Organic Federation of Canada
- Funding mechanisms for the organic sector
- Organic Science Cluster Knowledge Transfer 3
- Preparing for the Organic Science Cluster 4
We like to meet with you to discuss issues related
to the growth of sustainable agriculture in Canada!